I hope you’ve been enjoying the art activities in the last couple posts. Here are some thinking and writing activities to finish our study of A Young Girl Reading.
Thinking and Writing about Art
Project 1, Thinking about Fragonard’s Painting
- What do you think the young girl is reading?
- In the 1700s did most girls learn to read?
- Do you like her hair style and her dress?
- Do these styles fit where and when the artist lived? (Paris, 1700s)
- Would these styles fit with our time for any activities or not?
- Who do you think Fragonard made this painting for?
- Where do you think it would have hung? (remember, it didn’t always hang in a museum!!)
How could you update this painting’s subject to today’s world?
- What would the young girl be wearing?
- What would her hair look like?
- What else could she be holding to read?
- Where else might she be?
Project 2, Writing about Fragonard’s Painting
Write a story as if you are this young girl. Here are some sentences to get you started:
Bonjour, my name is______________________. I live in ________________________. Monsieur
Fragonard painted this picture of me for_____________________________. I enjoy reading
about_____________________________. I have a pet_________________, and its name
is___________________. My friends and I like to___________________________.
Project 3, Writing about You
Writing or Drawing
Write about or draw a picture of your favorite spot telling or showing why it’s special. Is it quiet or noisy? Are you alone or with friends? What do you do there—read, play games, watch TV, daydream?
I hope you’ll have fun and let me know in the comments how you enjoyed these project.
I have a couple writing deadlines coming up in May, so I need to take a short break to finish these, but I plan to be back in June with a whole new artwork to study and enjoy with various activities .
Molly’s resting up to get ready, so you get ready, too! Sign up to receive these posts by email.
And don’t forget to visit my website to see the art workshops and other types of presentations I’m available to do! See the details at: www.kathy-oneill.com