Butterflies are colorful creations, that we like to draw or paint in our own pictures. But it’s hard to make their wings exactly the same on each side of their body. In this project you’ll have fun making a butterfly that’s colorful and also exactly the same on each side!
In this post you’ll find:
- A supply list
- Directions to make the butterflies
- Clean up hints
- Variations and extensions
- How this activity helps children develop mentally, physically, and socially
- A related and kid-friendly devotion
- Sturdy paper
- Paint in different colors
- Markers or crayons
- Fold the paper in half and then reopen it.
- On one side of the paper only, squeeze out drops of paint where an upper wing and a lower wing would be. You may use more than one color, but don’t mix them yet.
- Refold your paper to cover the drops of paint.
- Use your fingers on top of the paper to move the paint around, swirling colors together and creating an upper and lower wing. You may need to help children move the paint outward to make wings.
- Open up your paper to see your colorful butterfly with identical wings on each side.
- Notice that this process creates veins like on a real butterfly’s wings.
- When dry, use crayons or markers to draw the butterfly’s body.
Variations and Extensions
- Make smaller butterflies and use them as cards for friends and family
- Make smaller butterflies all over large sheets of paper and use as book covers or wrapping paper
- Cut out some smaller butterflies and use as gift tags
How this activity helps children develop mentally, physically, and socially
- Mixing colors is fun and relaxing and teaches children to be better observers
- Choosing colors aids problem solving skills
- Making cards or other things to send to friends and family fosters kindness and thoughtfulness for others
Clean up hints
Use a large sheet of wax paper under your painting, because the paint often squishes out as you move it around.
Bible Verse: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV).
Butterfly caterpillars aren’t very pretty. They crawl along plants chomping leaves, and they can’t see well at all. But when it’s time, they form a chrysalis, and God creates a beautiful new creature. He gives them new eyes to see all around, new straw-like mouths to sip nectar from flowers, and beautiful wings to soar through the sky!
Sometimes we do things we shouldn’t. We may say unkind things to friends or disobey our parents. The Bible call those things sins, and they aren’t very pretty. But God loves us so much He gave us His Son Jesus, who died so we can be forgiven for our sins. When we believe that Jesus died for us, and that God loves and watches over us, we don’t get new eyes or wings, we get something much better. God gives us a new heart that loves and wants to please Him.
If you would like to become God’s child, you just have to ask Jesus to come into your heart and forgive your sins. When you do that, you receive a new heart to follow Jesus. Like a butterfly you become a new creation, and God helps you soar to be all He has planned for you.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us Your Son to die for our sins, so we can become part of Your family. How wonderful that You make us a new creation to love You and live with You forever. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Before You Go
If you’d like more activity ideas for art, history, and nature, curriculum connections, and links to more resources, be sure to sign up for my newsletter. Just click the sign-up button above on the right. You’ll receive a free guide to making art museum visits a fun masterpiece for your whole family. Even if your family isn’t into museums, the quarterly issues have lots of fun stuff for kiddos!
Visit my website where you’ll find free downloadable puzzles, how-to-draw pages, and coloring pages. There’s also an updated list of my hands-on workshops, chapels, and presentations for all ages.
Molly and I hope you enjoy making colorful butterflies! Our August posts will be favorite summer paintings and funny vacation photos.