You’ll have fun doing this easy Easter art project with your children this week, so let’s put the next drawing lesson on hold until next Monday. (although we were already starting Easter art projects before school closed, it’s sneaked up on me for projects on this blog!)
This painting project makes a cute picture of sheep in a pasture and perfectly illustrates Psalm 100: 3, “…we are His people, the sheep of His pasture.” and John 10:11 where Jesus says, “I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.” NIV
This project can be done in 2 short activity times. Do part A and go on to another activity while the paint dries; then come back to finish with part B same day if you like.
- Sturdy white paper such as construction paper
- Scrap paper, any color
- Cardboard such as cereal box cardboard, cut into 2 to 3 inch squares
- Yarn, any color
- Tape such as masking, packing, or duct tape
- Green paint, largish plastic cover, paintbrush or plastic knife or spoon
- Crayons or markers
Follow these simple steps:
Part A. 20 to 30 minutes
- Draw and cut out several cloud shapes of different sizes from the scrap paper. Notice the cloud shapes are from the circular line and shape drawing lesson last week!!
- Fold over pieces of masking tape to stick the “clouds” to your white construction paper (you will be removing these so don’t stick them heavily—one piece per cloud)
- Arrange cloud shapes on your construction paper
- To make your “stamp” make a “handle” out of tape for your piece of cardboard
- Tape one end of a piece of yarn on this same side
- Wrap the yarn around and around the cardboard, and tape the end on the back (wrap the strand fairly tightly, but not too close together)
- put a small amount of green paint on the plastic lid and spread with a spoon or brush.
- Rub your cardboard stamp around the thin layer of paint just to coat the yarn strands
- Stamp all over your white paper and cloud shapes. The stamping should look like blades of grass. Pick up more paint as needed.( help children to stamp up and down without smearing)
Part B 20 to 30 minutes
- Part B 20 to 30 minutes
- Remove cloud shapes
- With pencil draw heads, ears, and legs (I use pencil first so I remember the eyes)
- Color these in with black marker or crayon
- Use other marker or crayon colors to make flowers. Notice the heads, ears, and flower petals are all in the circular group of lines and shapes from last week’s drawing lesson, and the legs are just straight lines. So you can use what you learned last week for this part of the project
- If you wish, add the Bible reference/s in one corner.
Use smaller paper and make just one or two sheep and turn it into an Easter card.